Re: [Phys-L] quantum dots

On 04/10/2018 07:03 PM, Larry Smith wrote:

One paragraph says “For this specific Quantum Dot kit, the sizes of
each of the quantum dots are the _same_size_ in each vial, the main
difference is due to the gradient concentration. The nanocrystals
have a ZnS outer shell with a CdSeS core. As the density of one
increases while the other decrease, the wavelength varies; however
the overall diameter remains constant.”

The next paragraph says “Using an LED close to 400 nm illuminate each
vial so the class can see the emanations from each. Explain to the
class that the vials all contain the same solution; the only
difference between them is the physical size of the quantum dots
contained in each.”

The short answer is I can't figure it out.

I can however come up with a hypothesis that seems
plausible based on what they are trying to do, and
is consistent with some (albeit not all) of the
verbiage quoted above.

Imagine a set of snow globes. Each globe consists
of a transparent envelope containing a non-transparent
Santa. All of the globes, i.e. all of the envelopes,
have the same outside diameter. The Santa-size varies
from vial to vial, but within each vial it is uniform.

They inconsistently use the term "quantum dot" to
refer to the Santa and/or the entire globe.

No guarantees that this hypothesis is correct, but
it is something to consider.

====

The gobbledygook about "gradient concentration" has
to do with how the quantum dots are made; google the
patents in the unlikely event that you care about this.

Here is a possible source of information. I quote from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVUF4JsJww0&t=102

"Feel free to contact me via email at samantha.bonelli@vwr.com"