Re: [Phys-L] Electric Current ... short simple version

On 02/16/2018 06:11 AM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:

In the case of a simple circuit such as a resistor connected across a
battery, the current is typically written as
I=dq/dt. [1]

After a couple of long answers, I think I finally
figured out the short and useful answer.

*) Equation [1] is *not* the definition of current.
It is the conservation/continuity equation. It
applies to the total charge q in some region, and
the total current I flowing into that region.

*) However, it can be used to infer the current in
wire at some point A, using the following stratagem:

Insert an imaginary capacitor, with an exceedingly
large capacitance, in series with the wire, somewhere
near point A.

Then construct a region that contains just one of
the capacitor plates. The boundary of the region
passes through the capacitor gap, and also through
point A.

. . . . . . .
. .
. .
. | . |
. | . |
A. | . |
. | . |
. | . |
. .

Now apply equation [1] to that region.

If I (finally) understand the question, that resolves
all the issues.