Re: [Phys-L] ?simple experiment limited by fluctuations - noise source

The current incarnation of a noise source is a commodity item available as BG7TBL around $10.  Excess noise power of ~25dB from 1 to 2000 MHz in a reasonably flat spectrum.

The current incarnation of a spectrum analyzer is a PC app (of course!) hooked up to a software designated radio originally designed to capture TV signals. These too are commodity items running around $20.

A Raspberry Pi computer hooked to two such SDRs to capture ADS signals and to a GPS can transmit via WiFi to an Android or iPad for pictorial depictions of air traffic on moving maps that pilots at all levels increasingly use for situation awareness. The ensemble costs about $160 to build and load with free software plus tablet with free moving map software.

Brian W

On 11/21/2018 3:55 AM, bernard cleyet wrote /in part/

I have (somewhere in our cavernous garage) an ancient (WW II) side window MPT (1P21?) packaged w/ a lamp. I’m rather certain it’s an anti-RADAR noise generator. Now this one is not so simple.

bc remembers the Brownian motion experiment he introduced back in 1984 using an HP spectrum analyzer $20k? very not so simple. My intro. of e-microscope polystyrene calibration spheres was essential. (I’d overhauled a(n) Hitachi TEM in my previous life. It was weird, the vacuum gauge was a discharge tube!)