Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 2:38 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Cc: Aburr@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] irrationals

IRRATIONAL NUMBERS
Interesting. But why do you want a rational explanation of an irrational
concept?
-
I do not think I can really solve your (real) problem, but I can say that
one will have a difficulty finding an actual real example of an irrational
number. There is, of course, no real pair of lines with an irrational
ratio. Every real line will have an integer for its length. The length unit
cannot be made as small as you wish because quantum mechanics will rear its
ugly head when the unit gets small enough.
What about the square root of 2? It has no “reality”. It is a concept. A
useful concept, true; but you cannot write it down in any number system.
(You can define a symbol to represent the concept.) You CAN write down a
number which when multiplied by itself comes as close to 2 as you wish, but it
will never be exactly 2.

In a message dated 9/11/2017 11:46:19 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,