[Phys-L] Verizon, AOL, Gmail, and Spam

Verizon informed us this week that they will no longer provide our
Verizon.net email service as of April 12. For business reasons they have
decided to concentrate on their internet, TV, and phone services. They give
us two choices:

1. Select AOL as our email provider which allows us to keep our
Verizon.net email addresses (Verizon acquired AOL in 2015). Verizon will
then automatically transfer all our email and contacts to the new AOL
account. There is no charge for this option.

2. Select an email provider of our choice (e.g. we happen to have a
Gmail account which we never use). In this case our email address will
change, and it is up to us to transfer our email and contacts. There will
also be no charge in this case, since the Gmail account is free, and I
assume most other email accounts would also be free.

Which of these two choices (AOL or Gmail) would provide better spam
protection, for example, against attacks like the recent Phys-L attack? Are
there any other reasons for selecting one or the other? If the two choices
are about equal in performance and security, we would prefer to keep our
existing Verizon email addresses, since they are recorded with a sizeable
number of organizations.

Don