Re: [Phys-L] Tennis Ball on Basketball

On 02/23/2017 10:02 AM, bernard cleyet wrote:

A fast camera is in order here.

Very true.

Suggestion: In this situation, as in so many others, I recommend
a building-block approach. In other words, do warm-up exercises
in preparation for the main event.

In particular, note the contrast:
A) Using a tennis ball (or coin) atop a basketball has its advantages,
including simplicity and an obviously counterintuitive result.
B) Other geometries are easier to control and easier to analyze.

If you are doing the experiment -- or simply googling for videos --
I suggest starting with Newton's Cradle. I tried
https://www.google.com/search?q=newton%27s+cradle+dissimilar+OR+unequal

which turned up some high-speed (aka slow motion) video of an experiment
with unequal masses:
https://youtu.be/dCTo53kE3gs?t=76

What I would like to see, but haven't yet found, is the "snowman"
geometry, i.e. small + medium + large balls. Let the small and
medium balls dangle at rest, and then whack them with the large
ball. Investigate the two cases:
-- initially touching
-- initially separated by a tiny amount