Re: [Phys-L] nature +- observations +- models

-----Original Message----- From: LaMontagne, Bob
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:59 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] nature +- observations +- models

I agree that our models are currently just useful predictive tools and not truly reality. But there is no reason that at some point in time that they may cross the line from being models to being statements of reality. Even people from Cargo Cults can be brought out of their isolation and shown that "real" airplanes exist - not just wooden models of airplanes.

Doggedly repeating that models can't become identical with reality doesn't make it so.

Bob at PC
Our brains take the data of our senses and construct models useful for predicting future data.
In science we extend our senses with measuring instruments - our "scientific" brains continue to construct models to predict future instrumental (extended sensory) data.
These calculational models do not directly predict reality - they predict the response of our senses/instruments to reality.

We are also inclined to construct CONCEPTUAL models of external reality. For most of us these are typically visual constructions.
But consider the models in the mind of a man blind from birth. He can construct and compare calculational models with me, but there is no way to compare his conceptual models to mine. I have no idea what his conceptual models are like.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
www.sciamanda.com