Re: [Phys-L] nature +- observations +- models

John Denker wrote:

Beware that the word physics, as I use it, is ambiguous.
-- There is the physics that physicists do, which involves a great
deal of observing, plus a great deal of model-building and model-using.
-- There is the physics that Mother Nature does. She does whatever
she pleases, whether we observe it or not, whether we model it or not.

I used the word earlier today in ways that were not very clear, for
which I apologize. I should have said there is a distinction between
Mother Nature and our models thereof. Even after we clarify the
terminology, it's a tricky concept.
-----

No worries. That makes your perspective much clearer, thank you.

I would still be interested in whether I'm reading too much into the
following though.

John Denker wrote (in a previous post):

These laws are just models. I suppose it's nice to be able to
answer legalistic questions about the models, but that's nowhere
near as important as understanding the underlying physics.
-----

If by 'physics' here, you mean 'Mother Nature', I'm wondering what it
means to understand her *without* doing so through a model.

If I seem overly picky about this, it's just that I think a lot about
the philosophy of physics and my current view is that many pedagogical
issues would disappear if we could convince students that there is no
such thing as understanding what is *really* going on in this or that
experiment/phenomenon. All we can do is find better or worse ways to
represent it through a model.

If a child grows up thinking about physics like this, I would guess they
could progress from Newtonian Gravity to General Relativity, for
example, with considerable ease (or at least without 'unlearning')
because they never ever thought that the Sun and Earth *really and
truly* pull on each other.

I haven't always had this model-centric view, so I'm certainly open to
change.

And thanks for the other fascinating story too, by the way.

John Denker wrote:

I told him there was no electromagnetic experiment that could show
an observable difference between right and left ... and furthermore
I knew how to construct a different model that made all the same
predictions without cross products. He wasn't interested. He
stormed out and told the big boss that I was dangerously stupid
and stubborn.
-----

Should I be embarrassed that I'm not sure what you're referring to about
a 'different model'?

Cheers,

Derek McKenzie
PhysicsFootnotes.com