Re: [Phys-L] treating force as a vector ... consistently

As long as I never refer to actions or reactions (I actively oppose this
the first day we talk about forces in my courses) and that I specify the
following:

1) The two forces which constitute a Newton's Third Law Pair must act on
different bodies
2) They must be of the same kind (friction, gravitation, contact forces,
etc)
3) When considering the state of motion of a body, one must consider all
the forces on (and only the forces ON) that body by any other agent

then the only confusion comes about when students fail to apply these
concepts; and that confusion has historically been very rare.

We have spent a long time going round and round in this discussion - but
really, it's not that hard. We just have to be careful about the language
we use, and drum it into the students to avoid the typical high school
teaching on this matter.

Todd