Re: [Phys-L] confusing questions about the force laws

For JD:

On 2016, Aug 19, , at 16:54, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

Tangentially related: Several people have mentioned "push/pull".

I am aware that more than a few textbooks /define/ force as a push
or a pull. This just reinforces my point from the other day, namely
that definitions of that kind are almost always wrong.

So my 11th grade teacher, an MS from CIT no less. He may have “hedged" (nuanced?) tho.

An RAF pilot who bet his colleagues (wing mates?) that the flow next to the plane was zero. He sprinkled powder (chalk?). It was there on his return from the mission.

bc’s first brush w/ hydrodynamics; that and two experiments are all he remembers.

Wrong, more: The only time he pulled rank was to order the pilot to break thru the fog (over the channel) to calibrate the altimeter. He flew weather missions, and came to CA, first, as a weather forecaster for J. Arthur Rank.