Re: [Phys-L] inertia and the tablecloth demo

On 2016, Aug 17, , at 14:34, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

inertia is part of our language and seemingly ingrained in our
physics traditions.

I had what might be called a non-traditional education. I never ran
across "inertia" in a physics context until long after I was out of
school.

The Feynman lectures use the idiomatic expression "the principle of
inertia" on two occasions to refer to the first law, and otherwise
don't mention inertia at all. Certainly there is no attempt to
quantify the inertia the way we quantify mass or momentum.

I’ll cheque my Feynman et alii substitute, Eisberg and Lerner, for the use of inertia.