Re: [Phys-L] rote versus understanding ... grade versus understanding

Greetings, One of the primary goals I had when I began teaching was to have a demonstration for each physics concept that I taught. The number grew as the years went by. Some were made, some were purchased, etc. The list has grown to over 500.

Students would be motivated and the concept better understood when the demonstration was performed either by me or many times by a student.

In many cases, the demonstration took physics out of the classroom, so to speak, and into the real world.

And in every class, there were some students who were on the lookout for physics in the things around them and were quick to report when they found something.

Being able to see the physics around them really, in my opinion, enhances the life of a person that could do so.

Have a Great Day

Website rheckathorn.weebly.com