Re: [Phys-L] confirm 732d2ef786477d82f3d2d8b238e37152f1ee795c

When you find something in the google spam folder just hit the "not spam" icon and it will go to your inbox from that point onward.

Bob
From: Phys-l <phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org> on behalf of Carl Mungan <mungan@usna.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:20 AM
To: PHYS-L
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] confirm 732d2ef786477d82f3d2d8b238e37152f1ee795c

I echo Richard. All of Moses’ postings from PHYS-L also go to my SPAM folder always (in gov’t google mail). I have no idea why. -Carl

On May 10, 2016, at 11:08 AM, Richard Tarara <rtarara@saintmarys.edu> wrote:

Moses,

I think the problem resides with some SPAM filters. Your posts ALWAYS end up in my spam folder...not sure why maybe the 'Moses' or the 'gold' but that's where I find them. If other filters also pick you out but are set to refuse the post, that would trigger the bounces. Not sure how to fix the problem (send as M. Fayngold perhaps?)

rwt

On 5/10/2016 10:21 AM, Moses Fayngold wrote:
Hi, all!
Recently I received the following letter I am forwarding here to the List:
On Monday, May 2, 2016 5:41 PM, "phys-l-request@www.phys-l.org" <phys-l-request@www.phys-l.org> wrote:

>"Your membership in the mailing list Phys-l has been disabled due to
excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
02-May-2016. You will not get any more messages from this list until
you re-enable your membership. You will receive 3 more reminders like
this before your membership in the list is deleted.
To re-enable your membership, you can simply respond to this message
(leaving the Subject: line intact), or visit the confirmation page at
http://www.phys-l.org/mailman/confirm/phys-l/732d2ef786477d82f3d2d8b238e37152f1ee795c
You can also visit your membership page at
http://www.phys-l.org/mailman/options/phys-l/moshfarlan%40yahoo.com

If you have any questions or problems, you can contact the list owner at
phys-l-owner@www.phys-l.org "

I got a similar warning about a year and a half ago. In both cases, I re-enabled my membership following the given instructions. But I do not understand the meaning of all this and want to ask a few technical questions. 1) Why did I start receiving this message if I had not, to my knowledge, violated any rules of the list?2) What does "excessive bounces" mean? In my understanding, the message bounces if the email address is wrong. This cannot be the case here since all my messages to the List were just responses to messages of other members.3) Usually the sender gets immediately notified of any bounce of his/her message, with the reason for the bounce. I had never got any such individual notifications before the cited warning.4) Were my bounced messages still received by the List members or were they directed back to me alone?5) Had anyone else on the List have similar experience?
It is interesting to mention that before bothering all of you with this personal issue I had first directly contacted the list owner with all these questions. I did it on their own suggestion in the end of their message, it was 4 days ago, and yet I have no response. This by itself illustrates some aspects of communication processing in this List.
I will highly appreciate if some of you can share any available information.
Moses Fayngold,NJIT

Richard Tarara
Professor Emeritus
Saint Mary's College

free Physics educational software
http://sites.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/software.html

-----
Carl E. Mungan, Professor of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363