Re: [Phys-L] the sign of g

This is no doubt an issue that many beginners struggle with. I do teach my
students that the sign on their free-fall acceleration term depends on
their chosen coordinate system. But for many of them, you have to be more
specific. They often choose the coordinate system without realizing that
they have chosen! So it is not really just the sign of g that is the
problem.

When a problem says "A ball that is launched upward from the ground at 30
m/s. Find its displacement and velocity 5 seconds later" and they write:
"V-initlal = 30 m/s", you have to show them that they just chose a
coordinate system. The sign of g is just one issue they face. The also
have to know how to interpret the signs of the other quantities that they
may solve for. BTW I agree with the suggestion of showing the solution
using V-initial = -30 m/s.

Same applies when "a ball is dropped from a 100-m cliff." You can
certainly write "d=100 m" but you should be aware that you just made a
decision about the coordinate system. Again, showing the solution with
d=-100 m also helps. But make explicit the moment when the coordinate
system is chosen.

Still, a thorny issue for beginners...

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Richard Tarara <rtarara@saintmarys.edu>