Re: [Phys-L] the sign of g

g is the magnitude of the gravitational field vector and thus it is positive, as is a (the magnitude of the acceleration vector) and v (the speed).

Assuming we indicate vertical with the y-axis, then a_y can be either +g or -g depending on whether you choose upward or downward to be the +y direction. I recommend doing about half of your in-class example problems with each of these choices, so students get used to the idea that both choices are viable and sensible. -Carl