Re: [Phys-L] gravitational waves

Thank you for comments, John.

1) I did not introduce the term "faithful," and I do not want to discuss its numerous meanings.

2) Why do I resist replacing the M by the Q? Because electromagnetic waves are transverse while gravitational waves are longitudinal, at least in my mind.

3) What was the purpose of sharing my simple model on this forum? I wanted to demonstrate that one can describe gravitational waves to students who are not familiar with general relativity.

4) Replying to me privately, one teacher wrote: "I haven't looked carefully at your model, but for your intended audience I would say that anything that comes remotely close is better than nothing." Do we all agree with this?

5) My model does not predict "the wrong dependence of GW intensity on x." Wrong with respect to what? Do the experimental data exist?

6) The last question applies to three other "wrong" predictions:

" the wrong dependence of GW intensity on angle.
-- the wrong dependence of GW intensity on frequency.
-- the wrong speed of propagation of the GW."

7) John wrote: "In previous message I asked what is the objective. I renew the
question. What is this model /supposed/ to predict and/or explain?"

Part of the answer is in point 3 above. I am not trying to predict or explain anything specific. I am describing my own interpretation of the term "gravitational waves." How can a retired teacher resist an opportunity to share what he knows and what he thinks.

Best regards to all,

Ludwik Kowalski, Ph.D. (see Wikipedia)?