Re: [Phys-L] simulation of "bonding"

On 2016, Mar 06, , at 07:08, Jeff Spirko <spirko@gmail.com> wrote:

I think John Denker's interpretation of the dependence on the initial
temperature is correct. The reaction energy depends on the binding energy
and the energy required to get to/from STP.

On the trend toward higher total energy, does the time step affect this?
Change Ndisp and the delay at the same time as dt. I'm on my way out the
door or I would fiddle with it.

I‘ve found if there’s dissipation, reducing the time step does not improve the accuracy, more correctly worsens it. i’ve obviously not studied this simulation, so I presume there is no dissipation.

I haven’t completed my study of various ODE solutions. [1] I’m using both oscillators with linear dissipation so I can fit to the analytic solution and a falling body with drag (quadratic dissipation with constant coefficient), which also has an analytic solution (the skydiver).

It looks like the numerical technique is good. It's the "symplectic Euler"
method, aka Euler-Cromer method that Bruce Sherwood said they kind of
stumbled across. In each time step, velocities (here, momenta) are first
calculated based off the old coordinates. Then all coordinates are updated
using the new velocities.

In the integrator, the effect of the electric force is ignored if the
electrons bounce. I wonder if this introduces error in the energies.

Is this not various potentials (Morse - Leonard Jones) leading to van der Waals, etc????

Intuitively I suspect “hard” balls won’t change the result, but them I’ve not read the simulation.

If you ever expand to particles of different masses, the transform from lab
to C.M. frame must be adjusted.

[1] Velocity Verlet, two of the Cromer’s (last step and half step) those due to Sandvik and Peter Young. I suppose I should give up and learn 4th R-K.. though I‘ve read for some ODEs, it’s flawed.