Re: [Phys-L] phase change

Well, I would again recommend a kinetic explanation, as I tried to outline
in an earlier post. The rate at which particles sublimate off the solid
into the gas is a strongly increasing function of temperature, because
kinetic energies increase with temperature and a particle needs a certain
amount of kinetic energy to overcome the binding energy and break free. On
the other hand, the rate at which particles condense from the gas onto the
solid is a decreasing function of temperature if the pressure is held
fixed; this is because higher T means faster particles and hence more
momentum from each collision, and so the collisions must occur less
frequently (due to lower density). So if you plot the increasing
sublimation rate and the decreasing condensation rate as functions of
temperature, the lines must cross at some precise T. That's the equilbrium
temperature.

But if you are heating the solid you will have more sublimation than
condensation

But the interface will have the equilibrium temp.