Re: [Phys-L] Temperature for the calorie?

There is also the BTU--which is very prevalent in the heating and air-conditioning industry and which is still used in global energy estimates (quads). With the textbook definition as the amount of energy to raise one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit is surely is closely related to the calorie.

Having taught introductory physics (and only introductory physics) for 35+ years, I can offer that at very least at the non-scientist course level, having a unit that is simple to remember ( one!) that is related to something that is physical and easily understood (heating water) offers some advantages. Then one can add in the more universal conversion factor. These students do worry about Calories (even before they have the tools to understand) and being a kcal is easier for them to handle than 4184 Joules. While clear enough to us, the Joule is not a very intuitive unit of measure for most. In the same vein, then simple calorimetry (like the latent heats for water) have more easily remembered (approximately) values (~80 cal/g or ~540 cal/g) for discussions in these lower level classes. As always, one needs to take the audience into consideration.

rwt