Re: [Phys-L] climate change continues apace

On 01/11/2016 03:12 PM, Bernard Cleyet referred us to:

"Climatologist Judith Curry calls attention to a new kind of attack on climate denial"
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/news/10.1063/PT.5.8158

Wow, that seems like the poster child for what *not* to do.
There is an accumulation of evidence that such an attack is
likely to backfire, producing negative progress ... not to
mention all the collateral damage to basic civil and scientific
institutions.

Most evidence suggests that the best approach is to first
establish trust. This takes time. Typically it starts
with discussing something else, something non-controversial
and non-confrontational.

This is why I suggest starting with tack-tossing and similar
simple data-driven exercises. This gives people a chance
to become proficient at looking at noisy data. Among other
things, they learn that it pays to look at the data in many
different ways. They can bring their creativity to bear.

Here's an example of data that has more to do with weather
than climate, and is (as far as I know) non-controversial.
Take a look at figure 5 here:
http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/elnino/elmonout.html#fig5

It took me a while to understand what is being shown there.
It is not your usual map. It is more like a spacetime diagram,
only upside down, with time running vertically downwards. Just
west of 120°E there are some structures that pop up, sit there
for a while, and then disappear. They appear as vertical streaks
on the diagram. Meanwhile, in the eastern half of the ocean
there are structures that pop up, move eastward, and then
disappear. They appear as streaks running in the \ direction.

There is nothing uniquely wonderful about this representation.
The real point here is that the Japan Meteorological Agency guys
have tons of data ... and many, many ways of looking at it. If
you look at the data in only one way -- or worse, if you let some
corrupt politician pick one drop out of the ocean and show it
to you -- then you might get fooled. OTOH if you look at all
of the data, and look at it lots of different ways, it becomes
much harder to get fooled.