Re: [Phys-L] ?conservation of _internal_ energy

If your System is just the `blue' box then it (i.e., its internal spring) has certainly done work on the `red’ box

How can that be? Both boxes are symmetric. What stops me from instead saying the red box does work on the blue box? Or do you not believe that work system A does on B must be equal and opposite to work B does on A? (In that case, the 1st law of thermo is in trouble.)

(I agree with John that neither box does work. The PSEUDOwork is nonzero, but not the THERMODYNAMIC work.) -Carl

-----
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9b, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363