Re: [Phys-L] ?conservation of _internal_ energy

Although my last formal thermo course was almost 50 years ago, it seems to me that at the heart of the 'debate' (if there really is one) is how internal energy is defined and what the system under consideration actually is. Using a vernacular definition of internal and the concept of absolute conservation of energy, I might want to say that the internal energy of the UNIVERSE is conserved. But doing this makes ALL forms of energy internal--at least to the universe as a whole--and that certainly is not the definition of 'internal energy' that has been presented. What (little) I can draw from the current conversation is that there seems that the definition of 'internal energy' is not quite universal and the boundaries of the system are also somewhat arbitrary. If both of these are well defined, then the conclusions of JD, DB, and others seem pretty straightforward.

BTW--was sent this!

"emeritus: that has become unfit for service, worn out, extinguished...; applied by Ovid to horses, by modern universities to retired professors"

rwt