Re: [Phys-L] The Chemical History of a Candle

On 2016/Dec/24, at 16:36, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com <mailto:jsd@av8n.com>> wrote:

Appropriate to the season:
The Chemical History of a Candle
lovingly retold by Bill Hammack, with Don DeCoste and Alex Black.

Five lectures, each about 15 minutes long, each available with and
without a voice-over commentary.

Yes! reported in the Wiki on Faraday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chemical_History_of_a_Candle <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chemical_History_of_a_Candle>

If I’d read my copy of Faraday’s lectures, [1] I’da possibly caught what DM’s demo. shows.

"Just think, if Michael Faraday had received a decent education, he
might have amounted to something."

Are you suggesting a std. English ed. woulda ruined him, or he’da predated J.C. Max.?

bc read (closed captioned) the first lecture, and didn’t find why the wick is woven, so it burns.

[1] On the floor next to the bed waiting. Reading "The Lady Tasting Tea” A fascinating history, and now I know what Cosset did for my favo. Stout. (Culture shock [1966]: Guinness on tap at the Keele student union (Bottled Joule’s Ale at the Keele Research Association), and age of consent 16.)