Re: [Phys-L] source of cooling for a propane tank

On 2016/Dec/14, at 13:29, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 12/14/2016 09:14 AM, Robert Cohen asked:

I put off answering after :

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/latent-heat-vaporization-propane-d_1203.html <http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/latent-heat-vaporization-propane-d_1203.html>

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule%E2%80%93Thomson_effect>

and waited for the inevitable JD reply.

The two reasons I thought applicable w/ the second much weaker.

I assumed the second, as I thought the throttle was at the top of the tank instead of later down the line.

bc

More correctly a regulator is at the tank (usually) and is, therefore, a slight safety feature.

https://gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.php

"A pressure regulator is a control valve <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve> that reduces the input pressure of a fluid to a desired value at its output. Regulators are used for gases and liquids, and can be an integral device with an output pressure setting, a restrictor and a sensor all in the one body, or consist of a separate pressure sensor, controller and flow valve.”

Note the restrictor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_regulator <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_regulator>

bc curiously wonders if ice only forms at the regulator or first in liquid propane. And remembers a prof. warning about hydrogen tank spontaneous combustion.