Re: [Phys-L] impacts

Regarding Bernard's query on the temporal resolution of the force plate:

A force sensor can be modeled by a mass on a spring. From the compression
you know the force. But, that also means that the darn thing has a resonant
frequency. That limits the response time.

If you apply shorter and shorter impulses to any real force sensor,
eventually you see not the duration of the impulse, but the response time
of the sensor.

For the force plate, the response time is on the order of 20 ms--much too
long to look at a baseball impact time.

I love questions like this that get at the behavior of real, as opposed to
ideal, sensors. We often spend time talking about the difference between a
real and an ideal voltmeter and its impact on a circuit, but we don't often
talk about real force sensors.

John

--
John E Gastineau