Re: [Phys-L] foundations of physics: Galilean relativity, including KE

On 09/30/2015 12:48 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
Can we agree that the total internal energy of a system is the mass
of that system?

I agree with the intended meaning, I agree with
the physics idea ... but the terminology is tricky.
It might be safer to say the /rest energy/ is equal
to the mass of the system, in the appropriate units.
That's pretty much a direct translation of Einstein's
equation into words.

E_0 = m c^2

I suggest calling the LHS the /rest energy/ because
thermodynamics books have various definitions of
"internal energy" that you probably wouldn't be
very happy with.

Also I suggest writing Einstein's equation with
a subscript zero on the E, to remind people it's
just one piece of the energy.

The idea of /rest/ energy refers to the CM of the
system being at rest. If you have a spinning
flywheel, or thermal phonons in a solid, the KE
of the excitations /relative to the CM/ is part
of the system's rest energy and contributes to
the mass of the system.