Re: [Phys-L] planetarium design

We had a planetarium built in a classroom at our new high school building
two years ago. The classroom itself is a typical high-school classroom in
the front, lab in the back setup with the dome right in the middle. It is
about 7 meters across. My first year in it, I had half astronomy classes
and half AP Physics, and as the dome covered most of the lab portion of the
room, it was pretty dark. We now have a full time astronomy teacher, and
she is able to teach class normally up front and then move to the back to
use the dome. The only issue we both have is the control station
placement; it is at the front, so it takes up room where student desks
could be.

Also, as mentioned above, talk with architects early on about what you
want. I was not invited to any planning meetings while the layout was
being planned, so now we have a 2' x 3' window in the back of the room near
the ceiling. Apparently no one thought a window in a planetarium was a bad
idea.

Mike Sorola