Re: [Phys-L] let's define energy

The physics energy is strictly conserved, never "lost",
never "degraded". Talking about the "loss" of energy,
even when "loss" is in scare quotes, is confusing to
students. For that matter, I can't make sense of it

Ok, in the universe, but ...

If I lost energy other will gain it. Mechanical energy normaly is lost.
Losts and gains could be used in conserved stuff, locally.
Is usefull to make balances of several systems: loss, gain, in, out, remains