Re: [Phys-L] let's define energy

On 09/26/2015 02:16 AM, Diego Saravia wrote:

I used to thing that heat definition is a process quantity,

An excellent point. Thanks!

if you have an adiabatic path connecting (a least in one way) all two states

I agree with the idea, but I would add that the path does
not have to be adiabatic.

I do not recognize that definition among your four ones

Just now I added this to the list. Actually I added two items,
one for the definite integral and one for the indefinite integral:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/heat.html#heat-definite-integral
https://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/heat.html#heat-functional

or equivalently (with less security):
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/heat.html#heat-definite-integral
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/heat.html#heat-functional

Note that the formal mathematical term for a "process quantity"
is /functional/. The heat is a functional over the path.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_%28mathematics%29