Re: [Phys-L] teaching "science research methods"

I think you may have proven my point. Merely counting umbrellas to show that there are more umbrellas around when it rains does not make sense, is not science, unless the person doing it can explain why they are doing it. In other words, part of the evaluation of whether something is science depends on the social milieu in which it is being done; but this is external to the actions of the scientist. (And by ‘explaining why’ to the 'social milieu’ I mean convincing other knowledgable scientists.) Newton spent a great amount of time doing alchemy. We do not consider alchemy science anymore but in that time and place knowledge of chemistry was very limited. He thought he was doing science and we would have too, had we been there with him. The realization that some (but not all) of the research presented in the Ig Nobel awards really is science is a social evaluation by other scientists.

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:08:41 -0600
From: rjensen@ualberta.ca<mailto:rjensen@ualberta.ca>
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org<mailto:Phys-L@Phys-L.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] teaching "science research methods"

It isn't interesting TO YOU. It may be interesting to someone.

Consider the Ig Nobel awards.
http://www.improbable.com/ig/

And how many grants have been given for crazy 'science' projects?

http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/22/wastebook-2014-eight-absurd-government-projects-funded-with-your-money/

Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
W5-19, University of Alberta
780.248.1808

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:11:24 +0000, you wrote:

But is it science?

I think not. It has some of the hallmarks of science but somehow it isn?t interesting, there isn?t a point to it. This is one thing missing from most discussions of scientific method; we make decisions about content before we even start looking at methods.

kyle

Message: 8