Re: [Phys-L] teaching "science research methods"

Part of what we need to communicate to students is that if you try something and it does not work, that does not mean you have wasted your time. One thing about the way we present both math and science is that we tend to omit all of the dark alleys. This may be why students are afraid to be "wrong". They don't know that the stumbling around and feeling your way in the dark is a normal part of the process.

I see this when I am teaching algebra. If a student does not know where to begin a problem, I will sometimes ask them to start by taking a guess (as blindly as their own level of intuition requires). Then we can examine the guess and play with it to try to show that it isn't the answer we are looking for. It is during the process of examination that the actual thinking and understanding is going on.

I would be happy to cover n% less material and have more time to devote to giving my students opportunities to explore the alleys. But I admit that I am aware of a steady pressure to "cover the course".