From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Forinash III, Kyle
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:50 PM
To: phys-l@www.phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Individual versus group lab reports

Hi

Can anyone point me to research (as opposed to opinion) that shows whether group lab reports (three names on a report) or individual reports are more effective in student learning? I searched the Phys-L archive and also the compadre PER site but came to no conclusion. There seems to be a general consensus that interacting engagement labs (including student designed labs, open ended labs, inquiry labs and the like) are more effective than ‘cookbook’ labs but there also seems to be dozens of ideas about how to do an ‘interactive’ lab, each claiming to be better than the rest. Can someone bring me up to speed on the actual research?

Thanks

kyle
No one ever reached death's door and said:
"Darn! I should have gone to more meetings."

kyle forinash
kforinas@ius.edu<mailto:kforinas@ius.edu>
http://pages.iu.edu/~kforinas/