From: Annenberg Learner <updates@learner.org>
Date: September 2, 2015 at 2:42:25 PM EDT
To: geepaw@wowway.com
Subject: Annenberg Learner September 2015 Update

Advance excellent teaching with Annenberg Learner.
View this update online

September 2015
Monthly Update

Welcome to the Annenberg Learner Monthly Update. We have refreshed the look and format so it is easier to read and find resources in your subject area. One thing has not changed; you’ll still find links to useful classroom content and professional development resources from Learner.org and the Learner Log blog. Scroll down for Learner announcements about professional development opportunities, conferences we are attending, Journey North updates, and more.
Curriculum Focus
This month’s theme, in recognition of Constitution Day on September 17th, is “Citizenship and the American Dream.” See how this idea emerges from social studies to science to the arts.

History/Social Studies

On Constitution Day (September 17), we celebrate the signing of the U.S. Constitution in 1787. The important Bill of Rights, ratified a few years later, comprised the first ten amendments to the Constitution. It guaranteed personal liberties including free speech and the right to trial by jury, while limiting the government’s ability to restrict our rights. Find resources for teaching the Constitution and Bill of Rights in elementary through high school classrooms on our blog.
Go to Learner Log

Literature and Language Arts

Literature serves as a starting point for discussions about social justice, community, and citizenship, as well as for empowering students to take action for change.
Use poetry to teach about the human condition. Help young people celebrate, value, and advocate for diversity by going beyond the tolerance and appreciation rhetoric. See educator Virginia Loh-Hagan's blog post for resources and activities. Go to Learner Log

In Teaching Multicultural Literature: A Workshop for Middle Grades, learn techniques to engage students in critical discussions of race, class, and social justice. Activities center around works by Julia Alvarez, Langston Hughes, Joseph Bruchac, and many more. Go to Workshop

See how elementary students blend literature with their own experiences of immigration. Watch Maria Ruiz-Blanco use discussions of the novel “My Name is Maria Isabel” as part of a year-long conversation on immigration with her students in Teaching Reading 3-5, classroom program 10, “Fostering Book Discussions.”

Mathematics

Elections are an integral part of our rights and responsibilities in the United States, and polls give us insights into where we stand on issues. Learn how polls are created and how the results are used to make inferences about the voting population in Against All Odds: Inside Statistics, unit 17. Visit "Samples and Surveys"

Science

For many, the American Dream is finding a way to turn passions, such as the science of baking and the science of animal welfare, into a career.

Learn about the chemistry of baking with pastry chef Joanne Chang and her team at Flour Bakery in Boston, MA in this clip from Chemistry: Challenges and Solutions.
View Video Clip

Dr. Temple Grandin became an advocate for autism and for animal welfare, making changes to meat processing systems in the American cattle industry. In Neuroscience & the Classroom, she shares her success story. Born with autism, Dr. Grandin explains how her brain functions, and how her strengths have led her to a successful career as a professor of animal science at Colorado State University. Listen to Dr. Grandin

Arts and World Languages

The U.S. is often described as a mosaic of languages, cultures, and perspectives, which adds to the richness of American communities.
The Teaching Foreign Languages Workshop session 8, "Engaging With Communities," shows foreign language teachers tapping into the Hispanic and other cultures in their classrooms, schools, and communities to expose their students to languages and the great variety of American culture.
Go to "Engaging With Communities"

To be an American is to be at once part of a larger culture, and at the same time maintain an individual identity. Art Through Time explores the individual’s status in society in the theme “Portraits.” Featured artworks include Andy Warhol’s screen print of designer Diane von Furstenberg, Kehinde Wiley’s powerful portraits of African-American young men, and more.
Go to "Portraits"

Journey North
Participate in Journey North's
Mystery Class
Mystery Class is a global game of hide-and-seek. Students track seasonal changes in sunlight to find ten secret sites around the world. As sunlight clues reveal latitude and time clues reveal longitude, students are able to pinpoint locations on the globe. The project explores the relationship between sunlight and seasonal change in a fun and engaging way. Go to Mystery Class

Go Mobile with Journey North App
Take Journey North outside with our citizen science app for your mobile device (IOS and Android). Report your sightings from the field. View maps, take pictures, leave comments. Track migrations and the seasons with people across North America. Download the FREE App

Annenberg Learner Announcements
National Media Market Conference, October 11-15
Visit Annenberg Learner at The National Media Market conference in Albuquerque, NM, October 11-15. Stop by suite 332 for information on classroom and professional development resources.
View Conference Details

Professional Development
New for graduate credit this fall: Reading & Writing in the Disciplines will be offered for credit through Colorado State University. Enroll now through October 14. Find other courses for graduate credit and CEU opportunities through PBS TeacherLine, Colorado State, and San Diego State.
Check out All of Learner Resources
For a copy of our full catalog, email order@learner.org. Be sure to include a mailing address in your request. You can also view the catalog online.
Annenberg Foundation Announcements

#EmergingStyle at Emerging Experience

Emerging Experience is a multimedia installation at Skylight Studios in Los Angeles, CA that offers imagery exemplifying the themes of Taste, Sound and Style. Want to get involved? Submit your own pictures today for Style! Simply post your favorite fashion and design photos on Instagram with #EmergingStyle, and your images could be selected to be featured in Emerging Experience.

photo by Lauren Randolph

Visit Emerging Experience
Keep up with news and information about the Annenberg Foundation by subscribing to one or more of the Foundation newsletters.
Connect with us

Annenberg Learner | Email | Website | Update Archives

Annenberg Foundation | 2000 Avenue of the Stars | Suite #1000 S | Los Angeles | CA | 90067

This email was sent to geepaw@wowway.com by updates@learner.org
Update Profile/Email Address | Privacy Policy
Unsubscribe