[Phys-L] Boltzmann function

The current issue of AJP has an article purporting to show an elementary
proof that the Boltzmann distribution function is an exponential. However,
it omits the key step, namely a proof of the fact that the only real
continuous function f that satisfies:

f(x+y) = f(x)f(y)

for independent variables x and y is an exponential. Instead they make
reference to a graduate level math text that has a rather sophisticated
proof. I have attempted to construct a simpler proof of this key step here:

http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/_files/documents/Scholarship/MultiplicativeExponentialProof.pdf

​I invite comments. Even if my proof wouldn't satisfy a mathematician, do
you think it's okay? Can you come up with an even simpler proof?​

​Thanks, Carl

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363