Re: [Phys-L] electric field above a circular charged disk

Back in the bad old days, people used to solve this
problem without computers.

Normally I'm a big fan of straightforward methods.
Students like the straightforward approach. However,
sometimes it pays to use the straightbackward approach.
That is, you write down an alleged answer and then
show that it works.

In this case, the trick is to solve for a uniformly
charged /ellipsoid/ and then take the limit as it
gets reeeeally eccentric, i.e. flat.

This trick has been known in the literature for a good
long time, e.g.
George Frederick Charles Searle
"On the Steady Motion of an Electrified Ellipsoid"
Philosophical Magazine, 5 44 (269): 329-341 (1897)
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Steady_Motion_of_an_Electrified_Ellipsoid

This allows you to construct the field lines and
equipotential contours. So it provides a both
mathematical exactitude and pictorial, intuitive
insight.
https://www.google.com/search?q=uniformly-charged+ellipsoid+electric+field+potential&tbm=isch

There are a bunch of tricks in the same general family,
based on functions of a complex variable. The conformal
mapping technique is useful for lots of things, including
fluid dynamics, not just electrostatics. You can create
lots of shapes, not just ellipsoids.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhukovsky_transform

On the other hand, nowadays computers are so ridiculously
powerful that it's easier to do the finite-element
modeling than it is to learn the mathematical methods
of physics.