Re: [Phys-L] spherical capacitor problem

On 06/29/2015 05:42 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:
My objection is the formula for an isolated sphere assumes the other
plate is a concentric sphere at infinity. (That’s how one derives the
formula for spherical capacitance after all.) But that means the
other sphere is located “inside” the first capacitor. How can one say
the two spheres are in series in that case?

There are lots of ways of getting the right answer.

For me, the easiest way is to use the energy formula
E = 0.5 C V^2

Two spheres makes twice as much energy per unit voltage,
so that corresponds to half as much capacitance. I can
figure this out in my head in less time than it takes
to ask the question.

It takes slightly longer to fully /explain/ the answer.
We know there is twice as much energy because:

1) For each sphere, most of the energy is located very
near the sphere.

2) For d ≫ a, the distribution of field lines near one
electrode is "almost" insensitive to the size, shape,
and location of the counterelectrode.

So I guess knowing the answer to the original question
comes down to knowing facts (1) and (2). So, at the
next level of detail:

1a) In 3D the field strength falls off like 1/r^2 so
the energy density falls off like 1/r^4 ... so the
integral converges. In spherical coordinates the
measure is r^2 dr, so the convergence isn't super-
quick, but it's quick enough. (In 2D we would be
having a different conversation.)

2a) The field layout is intuitive and familiar to me
based on experience playing with field-line simulators.
https://www.av8n.com/physics/laplace.htm

2b) You can prove theoretically that (2) must be so,
as follows. You can find the field-line distribution
by means of a variational principle. As a starting
point for the variational search for the two-sphere
field, the simple superposition of two one-sphere
fields is not a bad guess. The search will make
changes relative to this initial guess, but in the
limit d ≫ a the changes will be small.

Furthermore, as you can see from the Hellmann-Feynman
theorem or otherwise, if the error in the field
distribution is small, the error in the energy is
small squared ... so taking the two-sphere energy
to be twice the one-sphere energy is an even better
approximation than you might have expected.