Re: [Phys-L] integrity +- climate change

On Jun 11, 2015, at 2:39 PM, David Marx wrote:

I'm not arguing all government funded research is biased either. The
automatic rejection of research results if a scientist has had any funding
from oil interests is also unwarranted.

That goes without saying. So why say it?

Secondly, there is plenty of bias in the climate research literature. We see
lots of published reports of some observed change in a species, for example,
and the only explanation that is considered is anthropogenic climate change
without any consideration of other possible explanations nor any demonstration
of the veracity of the claim.

Lots? Can you provide citations?

In my cursory look at the work Richard Muller's team did, I was not impressed.
They followed the same data handling process that the original researchers
did and got the same results.

That's not my understanding at all. Indeed, it seems to me that if there is ONE thing that a "cursory look" would reveal, it is that Muller's group took quite a different approach and, as a result, came to conclusions stronger than those of the IPCC.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/07/28/new-global-temperature-data-reanlysis-co

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona