Re: [Phys-L] integrity +- climate change

I'm not arguing all government funded research is biased either. The
automatic rejection of research results if a scientist has had any funding
from oil interests is also unwarranted.

Secondly, there is plenty of bias in the climate research literature. We see
lots of published reports of some observed change in a species, for example,
and the only explanation that is considered is anthropogenic climate change
without any consideration of other possible explanations nor any demonstration
of the veracity of the claim. Yet, the reviewers and journal editors saw fit
to publish the work. I consider that bad science.

In my cursory look at the work Richard Muller's team did, I was not impressed.
They followed the same data handling process that the original researchers
did and got the same results. They completely failed to address whether the
methodologies and corrections to the raw temperature data are valid. They
failed to address the effect of the electrification of the temperature sensor
network beginning in 1980, which moved most stations near heat sources. There
is also the issue of the exclusion of temperature station data at high
latitudes, which had previously been included. Please correct me if I am
remembering incorrectly.