Re: [Phys-L] Question on data analysis

what could be a benefit for the forcing of the trendline through the
origin?

Simple answer: there is never a benefit in imposing constraints on
data. In the context of published work, this would be academic
misconduct.

Many of the explanations have already been stated by others, but I
summarize mine below:
* it assumes zero systematic errors
* it gives an erroneous slope
* a non-zero intercept, when theory says it should be zero, it
provides a great opportunity to discuss systematic errors and
uncertainty in science
* if it is an advanced class, teach them to calculate the uncertainty
in the intercept. In most cases, zero is within the uncertainty. If
not, then there is likely a systematic error.

A classic CHEMISTRY example is the Beer-Lambert law. The law states
that A = e b c. That is: absorbance is linear with concentration and
has a zero intercept.
This law is only valid at low concentrations and for a single
wavelength. At high concentrations, there is a limiting absorbance
associated with light leakage, detector noise, and bandpass. yet
students valiantly put a straight line through their data, missing
every single data point. <sigh>
There are numerous reasons for a non-zero intercept:
* instruments are also prone to drift, especially cheap ones
* the blank may have a different composition (and absorbance) than
the standards
* the cuvette orientation may change slightly and/or scratch with
ever insertion (we had an instrument that scratched the face if the
cuvette if the cuvette was pulled out at an angle)

As the laboratory coordinator in a previous life, I instructed TAs to
take marks off if it was apparent that the students forced the data
through zero.

Please forward this to your chemist friend.

Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
W5-19, University of Alberta
780.248.1808