[Phys-L] Question on data analysis

Hi,

spreadsheet programs usually have a feature which allows to force a trendline through the origin. Of course,
the same thing can be done manually as well. My question is: when it is reasonable to force a trendline through the origin? I mean, a non-zero y-xis intercept may have a physical interpretation or it may indicate systematic error in measurements or (more realistically) may be a combination of both. Given these, what could be a benefit for the forcing of the trendline through the origin?

The question was motivated by an observation that a chemistry colleague insists that her studenst must force a trendine through the origin (in case there is no chemical interpretation, I suppose) for the y-axis intercept.

Regards,

Antti
Finland
Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.
Tarkastuksesta huolimatta noudata asianmukaista varovaisuutta liitetiedostoja avatessasi.