Re: [Phys-L] Stubborn brain habits

Never use the mirror while tying the tie. Use it only to check the results (if you care).

I have worn bow ties regularly for over 25 years. Bought my first one in 1973. The first day of class I say to my students, "Before you embarrass yourself, yes, this a real bow tie that I tied." Then I untie it and proceed to re-tie it, quickly, while telling them the benefits of doing their homework because "with practice, everything becomes easier" (just as I finish tying the tie, with a self-congratulating snap of the tie tails).

Now if you ask me to tie it with the front folded the opposite way, I'll need a mirror. Practice and muscle memory builds bias along with efficiency.