Re: [Phys-L] Stubborn brain habits

On 2015, May 06, , at 08:29, Paul Lulai <plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us> wrote:

I have only been popping in and out of discussions lately. I apologize if someone already posted this, but I didn't see it in my quick scan of the postings.
There is a fun and interesting (and sometimes suspect) podcast called "RadioLab." Some time back they had an interesting program titled Mirror Mirror... Some things we've all known about. Some things that seem really odd. And superman.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/122613-mirror-mirror/

Have a good one.
Paul.

"In fact, as Neil and Marcelo Gleiser of Dartmouth point out, all living molecules are left-handed. Which brings us to Marcus du Sautoy, who tells us the story of thalidomide...a cautionary tale about right-handed mirror molecules."

NOT, …. well depends on what is meant by living molecules.

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi604.htm

I think Pasteur discovered this also:

http://www.vumicro.com/vumie/help/VUMICRO/Phenol_Red_Fructose_levulose_Broth.htm

All because he wanted to make better beer than the Germans. (I presume!)

http://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2014/01/24/beer-yeast-and-louis-pasteur/

bc, a Parisian, who prays his mind is often prepared.

p.s. thalidomide, because of its unfortunate teratogenicity delayed its use as an “anti-cancer" drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12169202