[Phys-L] explanation(s) Was: Re: Typing Math Equations in Email - the Pendulum!

On 2015, Apr 04, , at 19:50, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I enjoy reading of Bernard's experiments with a pendulum. It is, I suppose, unfair to quote phrases from a pdf on this topic which he offered simply to show a method of displaying equations.

Still, I cannot suppose he would deliberately put up text that he would not support, so I am bold enough to say that several of his assertions appear (to me) to be self-contradictory. The ones in question, I marked as 1) and 3)

I also have a difficulty with item marked 2).
I would like to paraphrase this as
..adding mass (to a pendulum) will reduce the amplitude at equilibrium for a given total or mean energy, and probably
for a constant input energy for that matter.

Numbered Excerpts from "Q in Mechanical Oscillators" (BC)

1) ... "the pendulum was stopped after each attainment of equilibrium and free decay, and an additional mass added. Note the amplitude decreased with increasing mass!"

2) ..."adding mass will not reduce the energy to maintain a given amplitude. "

3)..." I’ve shown experimentally, contrary to many’s intuition, that the mass of a pendulum’s bob does not significantly affect it’s driven equilibrium amplitude. "

I feel sure that Bernard can explain the apparent contradictions....

Brian Whatcott

For number three: I shoulda writ doesn’t increase its equilib. amp. This supposed increase is a common belief. Probably because the majority experience is an increase in Q results in an amplitude increase, because the Q increase is due to a change in the resistance (electrical) or drag (e.g. dashpot mechanical oscillator). Instead, as I wrote, it decreases due to support movement. Tho the lab bench (coffee table) to which the rotary motion sensor is clamped is massive (~ 100#), the sensor itself is not, and its case if made of rather compliant plastic. An extremely rigid and massive support will, of course, render the decrease imperceptible.

#2 is a simple conservation of E statement except of course the increased loss due to support movement increases the E necessary to maintain amplitude.

Support movement was well recognized more than a century ago, e.g. the support here:

http://www.bmumford.com/mset/courthouse/

The same escapement as here: (note massively supported)

1859: http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/inside-clock-tower/how-great-clock-works/

Dawson the inventor of the three leg not given credit, just as Mitchell often not for the gravity torsion pendulum.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9eMkgfKIdXIC&pg=PA294&lpg=PA294&dq=reverend+john+mitchell+weighing+the+earth&source=bl&ots=w_fvTEAV_z&sig=ge0-mkk7KGl4x_CzjzDS9WKkCY4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-ZIhVe_0I9D3oATmpIHYCA&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=reverend%20john%20mitchell%20weighing%20the%20earth&f=false

bc