and dust. Reminds me of that popular video clip of orders of magnitude from the Eames brothers "Powers of Ten"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhofN1xX6u0

Brian Whatcott

On 4/3/2015 5:06 PM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
OK, so the "geometric mean" concept can acquit this "halfway" assertion.
But of what use is this unexplained statement in a media presentation to the general public? What does the general public think of as
"halfway between here and there"? Should such "hidden technical meanings" be used to play games with the general public?
To what end?

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Sciamanda
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2015 8:55 AM
To: PHYS-L
Subject: [Phys-L] Halfway point ???

Wimp.com posted this banner, with no explanation ==>

Today's Fun Fact: An average dust particle is the halfway point between the size of the Earth and the size of a proton.

Can anyone discern a “thought process” which makes this statement meaningful ?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
www.sciamanda.com