Re: [Phys-L] Perpetual Motion Machine, Earth as

Well, yes, I guess, but...

It feels like you are changing the meaning of what people are claiming when they claim to have built a perpetual motion machine. Yes, in the absence of friction, etc, an object will continue moving perpetually. But the video that started this thread was of a device that implicitly claims to be more. The claim is: look how clever this is! It will keep moving forever as a result of our cleverness and we imply that you can use this bit of cleverness to extract energy. In fact, look at our video -- no signs of slowing even though of course there is (as there must always be) some friction present.

Otherwise, a balanced wheel on a frictionless axle would also qualify: give it a spin and it will go forever. I don't think that's what we are talking about here.