[Phys-L] Tractor Trailer Rollovers

Hi Phys-L, answerers of all questions,

Does anyone know of statistics of rollover of tractor-trailer rigs
comparing the US double wheel system to some of the European single wheel
systems?

To me it would make sense that the single-wheeled versions (2 wheels per
axle) would be less vulnerable to rollover.

Since we well know that some of our physics students might be going into
truck driving as careers, we might as well be getting them to thinking
early about the physics of trailer rollovers and other aspects of these
haulers.

(And there are also interesting questions about tire wear - for people who
are more into mechanics than into string theory etc.)

Thanks,
Bill Norwood, U of MD at College Park