[Phys-L] momentum experiment measure of discrepancy

One of my typical intro experiments involves inelastic collisions. Two carts/gliders on a track/air track heading toward each other in opposite directions, colliding and sticking together. The velocities are measured using motion sensors (most often looking at the slope of the position vs. time graph immediately before and immediately after the collision). Due to a variety of conditions, friction in bearings or a non-level track or wind shear on the air track, the momentum after is not equal to the momentum before.

My question is how to categorize the difference |delta p|=|p_a - p_b| as some fractional or percentage discrepancy. IF p_b is the result of two larger, but nearly equal, magnitudes, there will be subtractive cancellation resulting in a nearly zero p_b. For example, p_b1 = +1.00 kg.m/s and p_b2 = -0.98 kg.m/s, then p_b = + 0.02 kg.m/s. Then, if p_a is +0.01 kg.m/s, the absolute difference in the momentum is 0.01. A "traditional" error calculation would say this is a 50% discrepancy. That doesn't pass my "gut check" mainly because of the large subtractive cancellation in the p_b calculation. A small variation of the initial momenta would have huge effects on this calculation.

My first attempt to characterize the discrepancy is to average the momentum magnitudes of the initial objects, 0.5(|p_b1|+|p_b2|), and use that as a divisor of |delta p|.

Has anyone developed a measure of discrepancy tool that you like for situations like this? It's very hard to do a statistical sampling because reproducing the same initial velocities is difficult, but that might be the best thing to try.

Or is this a fool's errand? (Remember that students like to have "a percentage error", aka, "How close do we have to be?")

Bill Nettles, Ph. D.
Chair, Dept. of Physics &
Associate Dean of Arts & Sciences
Union University