Re: [Phys-L] Carnot (?) efficiency of non-Carnot cycles

On 2015, Mar 05, , at 09:14, Carl Mungan <mungan@usna.edu> wrote:

"For an ideal regenerator, it contributes
nothing to the energy budget and entropy budget when summed
over a cycle. Whatever it takes it gives back over the
course of a cycle."

That's very clever. I can see indeed that we could undo in the isochoric
depressurization what we did in the isochoric pressurization step, at least
for an ideal device.

Now what is such a device (I'll accept a real one and idealize it in my
mind), and why don't intro textbooks mention it given that this seems a
pretty essential part of non-Carnot cycles?

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363