Re: [Phys-L] Carnot (?) efficiency of non-Carnot cycles

On Mar 3, 2015, at 11:05 AM, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 03/03/2015 09:56 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:
I'm a bit confused about efficiency. For a Carnot cycle, we have two
isothermal steps and two adiabatic steps. The efficiency is then found to
be 1 - Tcold/Thot.

Okay but what about a non-Carnot but still reversible cycle

The efficiency of any reversible heat engine is
the same: 1 - Tcold/Thot. [1]

If it's reversible, entropy is conserved, and
that's all you need to prove equation [1].

The "Carnot cycle" is an easy-to-analyze example,
but not the only example, not by a long shot.

Note that any cycle can be approximated as closely
as you wish by a sum over Carnot cycles. Think
of tiling the area on the indicator diagram (PV
diagram).

Howdy,

I always thought that you could prove that a true Carnot Engine, whose efficiency is indeed given by 1 - T(cold)/T(hot), is the most efficient engine that can exist running between those two extremes of temperature. ALL OTHER Engines running between those temperature extremes are LESS EFFICIENT.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)