Re: [Phys-L] astro resource

Stellarium is a free product that shows proper motion. I just tried it a little. Over the course of 10,000's of years, you can easily see shifts of constellations. If you zoom in on Barnard's Star (2 degree field of view), you can actually see it move from year to year! It also shows precession.

Tim Folkerts

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 11:48 AM
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Subject: [Phys-L] astro resource

A friend asked me this today:

Do you know a resource that can show me what the night sky and planets looked like 25K - 30K years ago?

Not exactly sure, but I think he's asking how the sky/constellations might have changed over many years...

Does anyone know of an online source that would help? Thought I'd ask the group to see if anyone knows/uses any resources that would show this.